Sunday, April 10, 2011

20...and a 1/2

Friday I didn't get out the door until a little before 6pm. You know what that means, don't you? That means that the fact that I hadn't run yet hung over my head like a little black cloud all day long. I told my husband that I felt a little like Eeyore. 
(picture from

I finally got my little self out the door and wouldn't you know it, that little cloud burst and it started raining on me at about .25 of the first mile. Lovely. 
Around 1/2 a mile in, I saw a little black dog dash across the road and take off down the trail ahead of me. Now I'm a dog lover - a dog lover that lives in an area with tons of coyotes. I'm not kidding. We listen to them just about every night and I hate, hate, hate the sound of them catching something. It was stressing me out since there wasn't much daylight left for the little thing. I heard someone calling a minute or so later and confirmed that they were looking for the little runaway. Yea!! Thankfully, when I turned a corner on the trail, the dog had stopped just a small distance ahead. I stopped the watch and knelt down calling it. The little thing came right to me and I scooped it up (praying I wouldn't get bitten) . I walked back down the trail til I found the owner. Happy ending. :) 
It rained on me the entire run and I only went three miles in 28:28.43. Here's the breakdown....
Mile 1: 9:42
Mile 2: 9:28
Mile 3: 9:16

Saturday=No Running
That wasn't the plan, but the day ran out before my list of "to dos" did. That left me with five miles to still get in to reach my week's goal. 

Sunday (today)
This morning my husband went for his run early. He got home and took the baby while I went for mine. Quite a system we have going, eh? :) Today's run started out pretty rough. I was a hurting unit and, when I glanced down at my watch, I'd only gone .74 miles. Sigh. That, my friends, is when you know it's shaping up to be a long run. The hills were killing me today. They felt extra....well...hilly. I checked my watch again and had only gone 1.81 miles and felt like it had been 4. That's when I decided not to look at the watch anymore and just try to run. 

One little problem with the outfit today... well, two actually.
The running tank kept inching up. Very annoying. I'd glance down and see the lovely leftovers of a cesarian. That's gonna take some time.
The running skirt/shorts equaled some severe chafing today. Not fun. I look forward to the day when that's not an issue. I'll be wearing pants this coming week no matter what the temperature. 

It wasn't until I was almost to mile 4 that the run started feeling a little better. That was a long 3 1/2+ miles. I ran 5 miles and then stopped to stretch a little. I walked for a bit and then ran for another 1/2mile or so. Retrieving the watch...

Mile 1: 9:22
Mile 2: 9:54
Mile 3: 10:14
Mile 4: 9:48
Mile 5: 9:14
Mile 6: 13:10

 Total for the week: 20 1/2 miles.
That's a very happy smile. 


  1. Hey there! I just started following your other blog and noticed you had this one. I am in the same boat. I used to run about25 miles a week but that was 6 years and 3 kids ago. I am training to run a relay in June and love getting out and running again! Now following you!